St. Anthony’s High School is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lahore in Pakistan. It is ranked among the best educational institutions in Punjab. It is situated at Lahore’s historical road, The Mall. The Marist Fathers of Ireland established St. Anthony’s High School in 1892. It now has been expanded to college level as well. The Sacred Heart Cathedral is located besides the school. When Lt. Col (r) L.C. Rath was the principal in 1992. nearly 2,000 pupils enrolled at the school and a staff of 100.
The motto of the institution is SCIENTIA CUM VIRTUE meaning KNOWLEDGE WITH VIRTUE.
East India Company of England after waging wars against European intruders in India and local Rajas established its rule in the Indo-Pak Subcontinent in 1849, when Punjab and NWFP fell to it under a proclamation of March 30, 1849. Hence, to run its administration smoothly, it needed literate locals. So it established educational institutions with European knowledge and English as medium of instruction from where Indians were recruited for jobs. With the British occupation of India, the American and European missionaries started pouring into India to enlighten it with modern education. St. Anthony’s a prestigious School and beacon of light from where a host of international famous personalities of Indo-Pakistan Subcontinent have been enlightened was founded on 1 March 1892 in Peeli Kothi, Empress Road, Lahore by the Maarist Fathers of Ireland. They named it St. Anthony’s Catholic Day School. Rt. Reverend Doctor VAN DON BOUCH performed its opening ceremony with only three students at Empress Road Lahore where St. Anthony’s Church and Don Bosco School stand majestically today guiding the people spiritually, morally and educationally.
As it progressed, its site was shifted to a more appropriate place 3-Lawrence Road, where it was renamed St. Anthony’s High School in 1900 which was dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua who sympathized with the miserable and gave hope to the despaired people. Bishop of Lahore Rt. Reverend VAN DON BOUCH performed the dedication ceremony of this school. Father Leo took over as the first Principal of the school who started ‘O’ Level classes in it.
On 27 January 1896, the Indian Railways promised a grant of Rs.500 for the construction of the school and thus this institution was called Railway Church School. The Viceroy of India, Lord Lansdowne sanctioned Rs.5000 for the school building. So a boarding house was constructed for the students in 1896.
St. Anthony’s School, Lawrence Road Lahore is purely a boy’s institution and is divided into the following three sections:-
- The Junior Section
- The Senior Section
- Hugher Secondary Section
The Educational Program at the St. Anthony’s High School has been designed to educate students with strong written, oral and quantitative skills, equipped with sound knowledge which makes the students ready to pursue their goals with determination and courage. They are ready to accept positive change in their lives and are committed to enhance their potentials by bringing a positive change in their both personal and career lives. The curriculum, the teaching methodology and the assessment practices are designed to produce these results. The program is focused on motivating the students for self enlightenment through quality education and character building.