Franciscan’s monastery and the Church of the Saint Anthony of Padua-Sarajevo
Franciscan’s monastery and the Church of the Saint Anthony of Padua are located at Bistrik on the left side of the Miljacka river. The Neo-Gothic style monastery was built in 1894 by architecht Karlo Panek, and the church in 1912 by architect Josip Vancaš in the new Romanesque style. The monastery holds a large number of old manuscripts and books, artistic pictures, handicrafts and other church objects of large significance, as well as stained-glass windows made by the painter Ivo Dulčić that are of the particular artistic value.
The monastery and church were seriously damaged in the war 1992/95, but have been reconstructed.
The Saint Ante Padovanski church as a sacral construction project is the last work of famous architect Mr. Josip Vancas. According to his project from 1911, it was approached to a new church construction on the same place where old church was torn down, from 1882. The construction of the church lasted from 1912 to 1913 and decoration until 1914, by the leadership of the architect Mr.Franjo Holza.
Because of the land contour the church is placed above monastery level, opposite of the main entrance. Over the monastery doorway there is a crosscut connected with a main church entrance. The church is constructed as a tree-vessel basilica with a five-sided altar apse and cross transept with sacristy’s oratory above. In the lateral vessels, reciprocally separated by the wall three chapels, are placed on the each side with altar illustrations, small praying desks, and five wooden pedestals of the Way of the Cross made by sculptor Mr.Zdenko Grgic, instead of the former altars and confessionals. The church has cross-ribbed arches. The high parapet of the middle vessel, windows of each travey and altar’s five windows are decorated by the extraordinary glass-screens. In the south-west part of the church there is leaned belfry with a solid cube.;43m high decorated by Saint Anthony statues and relief assembly of Saint Trinity.