According to Sylvia Madawela of Sandarawela:
Before the church was built Masses were celebrated at Mr. Francis Gunesekera’s House at Sandarawela. In fact there were marriages have been celebrated at this house. During this time Jesuits were doing a great work of evangelizing. Many were converted to Christianity . Rev. Fr. Van Austin SJ came for the services. In 1887 there were Rev. Jesuit Fathers came to Ganegama and mistered to the needs of the people. According to Jesudasan from Walpita Estate St Anthony’s Parish consecrated and recognized on the 15th of August 1924. The School at Ganegama was started with few children . The classes were conducted in Sinhala and English. There were two teachers. After the Sisiters of the Holy angels arrived in 1923 four sisters joined the Staff. The principal was one Mr. Munasinghe. Rev Fr. Van Austin was the director of Education of our schools. After some time Rev. Fr. Philip Cooray was appointed as Parish Priest at Ganegama. He started two boarding houses for boys and girls. Many children from far away places came as boarders. The number of the pupils were increased.